Thursday, November 19, 2009

11/18/09 A New Direction!


It was one of those "Aha!" moments. I love the idea of the magic lantern show (in fact I am still doing one on my own that I hope to tour with next year), but as the questions of public art started to be examined last week in our meetings, my thinking started to change. Returning to video work this week, via interviews I taped at Stiffel, planted some ideas in my head as well.

In 2005-2006 I spent a year making a twelve minute video collage: Earth, Water, Fire. The "Fire" section is on You Tube (Click here!) Shortly after, I got heavily involved with the Polaroid photography and the work that eventually led to Tsirkus. Many of the same aesthetic elements of my photography are also in the video: juxtapositions of imagery, bending of the medium, serendipitous visual intersections, things that connect old to new, and ambiguous narrative.

Somehow the idea of the old-style "flip-movie" machine got back into my head. These machines (called Mutoscopes) survived in old, dusty Bodegas in my old neighbourhood in Manhattan according to my older sister. I missed them by a few years, but was always fascinated by the romantic notion of low-tech, essentially hand-made moving images, something run just off a hand-crank that allowed you to glimpse into another, perhaps poetic world. OK. Truth be told, these machines were mainly about parting a quarter dollar from the patron and were often much less than artful, pornographic.

Using lantern slides, I had thought about multiple projectors to get a kind of collage effect, but that's complicated, expensive and temporal and not particularly public; it has to exist in a special space and requires a "performance." Also, I was somewhat concerned with overlap with Kate's idea to project video. Why not a Mutoscope kiosk that can be moved from neighborhood to neighborhood? It can eventually "live" somewhere permanently too, even if it has to be trimmed down, such as just keeping the essential optical-mechanical insides and the documentation?

A set of the flip-cards could fan out and become part of a mural or an installation. I think it will take about 300-600 cards to run a minute, it might be fascinating to see all the cards up on a wall somewhere or as a kind of funky, articulated banner/mythic animal before they become a moving image. The technology of making a Mutoscope is do-able, in some ways simpler and more straight forward than a high-powered lantern projector.

Bullet points:

-Allows collage-ing of video snippets, text, and images. I can even deconstruct an image, making it look progressively older.

-Endless loop of images with no beginning or end wherein there are layers and pieces that emerge and submerge, could be seen as a kind of metaphor. The hand-cranked image can be slowed, lingered over, and revisited.

-Creates a new, experimental medium that other artists might want to explore; possibly gives the project a continued life beyond this funded year.

-Brings the 7th St. Corridor to other neighborhoods since it can "tour."

-Will act as a magnet to attract visitors to the neighborhood during business hours.

-Allows for a detailed and complex images to be viewed, much like the magic lantern.

-Can be appreciated on many levels: aesthetic, conceptual, mechanical/technical.

-Participatory, but not totally passive.

-Quick! Something someone can check even if have a minute or two.

-Will encourage dialogue on the street.

-Design and construction of the kiosk casework would involve local artists like Phat Long (Cambodian sculptor) , Ricky Tenaglia (painter), and John Tenaglia (woodworker).

-Fits in well, I think, with the works planned by the other project artists.

-Connects old to new both technologically and visually.

-Links with the history of popular entertainment in the neighborhood. As far as I can tell, other than pool, movies were the prime entertainment outside of the home.

-Requires a "looking in," essentially a discovering of what lies inside, much like the way I have found things in my own explorations. What you see is NOT what you get--it's way more.

-Needs no power source, just sunlight.

I look forward to hearing what other people think about this idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment