Tuesday, September 22, 2009

09 22 09 First Digital Lantern Slide

I'm doing a Pecha-Kucha style presentation at First Person Arts on Oct. 14th. I'm going to show mostly 35mm slides mounted in glass, but I am also unveiling Boris with a slide or two.

I just sent off the first image to have it converted to a real silver (archival) black and white negative on polyester stock. The background for the composite was taken with an 8mp camera, so I had to interpolate the image upward. I did this by increments of 5%, even more slowly than the 10% that is often recommended. It looked great. So, now we wait and see. I reversed the image black to white, so when it is shot, it will develop as a positive! These conversions are fairly pricey, $20 a pop, but it obviates the need for additional optical conversions as well as a printer, copy lens, etc.

Boris is getting his finishing touches Oct 4, which consist primarily of a cruelty-free faux alligator covering on the case and the necessary handles and latches to carry the projector when it's in its custom-made case/mount. The whole projector with case weighs about twenty pounds. The projector is also getting a dimmer in case the image is actually TOO bright for the auditorium or if the slide is light, I can crank it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment