The 35mm conversions from digital, even the black and white ones mounted in glass look spectacular! The 4x5 black and white for the lantern projector was an expensive bust. The image has not contrast and the black areas are grey and watery.
I contacted Dave Wood at dr5.com today. They specialize in direct positives for black and white. I think they will do what I need and it's not hugely pricey-$27 an image to convert from a digital file and reverse process to archival standards. I should have another test image back in a few days.
We had an interesting conversation about the toxicity of photo chemistry as well. He's a chemist so he's probably not as much of a nut about this stuff as I am, but he seems to feel that conventional analog photography has less of an environmental impact than all the heavy metals and pigment inks that will make their way into the landfill because of digital photography. He may be right. His point was even dichromates can and are neutralized before being put into the sewer system and that photographic chemicals when pre-treated pose virtually no environmental hazard if they go through conventional municipal sewage treatment.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment