Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stiffel and Community Workshop Outline

03 08 10 Adult Workshop: “Objects of Memory”

Facilitator: RA Friedman

Place: Stiffel Center

Proposed Dates: Friday, March 26 & Friday April 2

Overview:

The objects that we keep or collect often connect us in a very direct way to our family history, where we lived, what we did; how we saw ourselves, and the world. The goal of this workshop is to employ small, easily transportable objects that people may have saved: articles of clothing, a letter, a piece of jewelry, or small tools, as a way of revealing these usually unseen connections and inner visions.


The culminating work for this part of the Journeys South project will be a hand-cranked, mechanical movie kiosk that will be able to travel from neighborhood to neighborhood and also appear at various events. The movie “reel” will be very short, only about two minutes and will be a silent narrative montage made up of workshop footage, images and video captured in the neighborhood, oral history clips, and perhaps historical materials.


The workshop is split into two halves. In the first half (1 hr) I’ll explain what the piece is to be and the ideas behind it. I want to see what peoples’ ideas are and what objects people would like to bring, and to handle any logistical issues. For instance, I may be able to provide certain objects from my own collection or borrow should the need arise. I don’t want people to rehearse, so I’ll probably keep exactly what is to happen in the second workshop, somewhat un-specific.


In the second workshop (2.5 hrs), I will set up a backdrop and lights and center-goers will be videotaped somehow engaged with their object. This could be such things as: putting on a hat, opening and closing a folding camera, making paper cutouts, changing a steel phonograph needle. Ideally, I’ll have a second cameraperson on hand. I want to be sure to capture things like close-ups of hands and facial expressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment